Clunie Castle is a 15th and 16th century tower house standing on an island in Loch Clunie.
The castle is thought to have been partly built using materials from its predecessor, also named Clunie Castle, on the banks of the loch.
In the late 15th and early 16th century Clunie Castle was a residence of George Brown, Bishop of Dunkeld. Details of the Bishop’s household expenses at “Dunkeld, Clony, Kynwaid and Tullelum” survive from 1505 to 1514.
The castle was vandalised in the 1960s and the roof fell in.
Alternative names for Clunie Castle
Castle Island; Clony; Cluny; Kluny; Loch of Clunie; Loch of Cluny; Peel of Kluny