Herdmanston House (site of)
Herdmanston House was an L-plan 16th century tower house although nothing of it remains besides a gate pillar.
The lands of Herdmanston were held by the St. Clair or Sinclair family in the 12th century.
In the early 14th century Sir William de St. Clair of Hirdmenston, who had fought alongside Robert the Bruce at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, was granted by the King the lands of Cesseworthe, apart from the demesne lands, and the mill that Sir Roger de Mowbray had forfeited.
William de St. Clair’s grandson, John de St. Clair of Herdmanston, resigned Cessford to his brother, Sir Walter de St. Clair, in 1376 and Robert II granted Sir Walter a charter of the same on the 8th of March of that year.
The thickness of the walls of the tower prompted speculation that the tower incorporated work from an earlier period.
The house was gutted and demolished some time before 1956, and only a 17th century pillar of the West Gate now remains.
Alternative names for Herdmanston House