Haystoun House consists of a 16th century peel tower which was extended in the 17th and 18th centuries.
It was one of a series of towers along the Tweed valley, each of which was visible from the next. Elibank would signal to Holylee, Holylee to Scrogbank, Scrogbank to Caberston, Caberston to Bold, Bold to Purvishill and then on to a continuing chain from Innerleithen to the north-west.
The signal would then pass along to Traquair, Grieston, Ormiston, Cardrona, Nether Horsburgh, Horsbrugh, Haystoun, Peebles and on to Neidpath. From Neidpath it would continue to Caverhill, Barns, Lyne, Easter Happrew, Easter Dawyck, Hillhouse, West Dawyck, Dreva and on to Tinnis.
In November 1890 Athole Stanhope Hay, third son of Sir Robert Hay of Smithfield and Haystoun and a descendant of John Hay, 3rd Lord Hay of Yester, bought Marlefield House in Roxburghshire from William Montagu Hay, 10th Marquess of Tweeddale.
Alternative names for Haystoun
Haystone; Haystoun House; Henderstoun