Neidpath Castle is a 14th century L-plan tower house standing high above the banks for the River Tweed.
The first castle on the site is thought to have been built in the 13th century before being rebuilt in the following century. Sir Simon Fraser of Oliver and Neidpath fought at the Battle of Roslin and then invaded England in 1303.
Neidpath was one of a series of towers along the Tweed valley, each of which was visible from the next. Elibank would signal to Holylee, Holylee to Scrogbank, Scrogbank to Caberston, Caberston to Bold, Bold to Purvishill and then on to a continuing chain from Innerleithen to the north-west.
The signal would then pass along to Traquair, Grieston, Ormiston, Cardrona, Nether Horsburgh, Horsbrugh, Haystoun, Peebles and on to Neidpath. From Neidpath it would continue to Caverhill, Barns, Lyne, Easter Happrew, Easter Dawyck, Hillhouse, West Dawyck, Dreva and on to Tinnis.
The castle was further modified in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
In 1697 William Douglas, Earl of March, was infefted in the lands and lordship of Neidpath.
Alternative names for Neidpath Castle