Monkton House was built around 1680 and is L-plan in shape. However its core is much earlier, the lower levels incorporating an old tower which dates to some time before the 16th century.
The original tower was extended in the mid-16th century with the addition of a rectangular building to the south, which was later extended further. A west wing was added soon after the Reformation, and in the late 17th century the stair tower, roofline and Renaissance doorways which can still be seen today were added.
Monkton House originally belonged to the Cistercian monks of Newbattle Abbey, but passed into private hands following the Reformation.
Alternative names for Monkton House
Millerhill; Old Craighall