Darnchester is marked as a tower on mid-17th century maps by Robert Gordon and Joan Blaeu.
On the 12th of March 1544 Darnchester was burnt by the English, documents from the reign of Henry VIII recording that “Dawnchestre and Williklughs burnt by John Carr and Gil. Swinhoo”.
It was referenced in a verse commenting on the renowned good looks of the womenfolk of the Dickson family.
Twixt Bughtrig and Belchester,
Hatchetnize and Darnchester,
Leitholm and the Peel,
If ye canna get a wife betwixt these
Ye’ll ne’er do weel.
The site is now occupied by a farm and there appear to be no extant remains.
Alternative names for Darnchester