Castle Tarbet was built on the island of Fidra by John de Vaux in the 12th century (at a similar time he built Eldbotle Castle nearby on the mainland). The de Vaux family were Norman knights and came from Rouen in northern France.
In 1220, Fidra was given to the monks of Dryburgh Abbey by John’s son William de Vaux, and it was William’s son – also named John de Vaux – who began building a replacement for Tarbet at Dirleton.
In 1621 Castle Tarbet is referred to as the Old Castle of Eldbottle. Nothing now remains apart from a 6.0m long stretch of mortared foundations on the summit of a flat-topped rock on which the castle used to stand.
Fidra is visible from the upper floors of Dirleton Castle.