Castle of Rattray
The Castle of Rattray was the seat of the Rattray family although nothing of it now remains.
In 1392 Christiana, sister and heiress of Galfridus de Retray, was granted one twelfth of Innergelly along with one third of Sandford in the barony of Ardross, one third of Ballingall and of Pitgedie, and one twelfth of Balnaves in the barony of Fethkill.
The Castle of Rattray is marked on Pont’s late-16th century map as Castel of Ratra and is depicted as a tall tower on a mound with a pair of smaller buildings at the foot of the slope.
Alternative names for Castle of Rattray
Castel of Ratra; Castle Hill; Rattray Castle; Rethtre; Retray; Rettreffe