This souterrain was discovered in February 1949, and excavated by Wainwright between February 1949 and June 1950.
On the surface was found the usual complex of above-ground buildings, in the wall of which was found a cup and ring marked stone. The roof has been removed and it is now possible to walk through the chamber freely.
Three further possible souterrains have been identified in cropmarks nearby, two 140m SE of Mains of Ardestie farmsteading, and one 110m to the E.
Alternative names for Ardestie
Mains Of Ardestie
Weather at Ardestie
max 10°C / min 8°C
Weather observed at Carnoustie at 14:37