Newark Castle is a large 15th and 16th century tower house on the Bowhill estate.
The castle stands on a knoll above the Yarrow Water and may have been built, or rebuilt, in 1423 by the Earl of Douglas. Work continued on the castle throughout the 15th and 16th centuries, with a courtyard wall and caphouses added.
The castle passed to the Scott family in 1550 and was last occupied in the late 17th century by Anne, 1st Duchess of Buccleuch.
The name is derived from the “New Werk” which distinguishes it from a nearby older castle or Old Wark.