Parts of Elphinstone Tower date back to the 13th century, however the main structure, a three-storey rectangular tower, was built around 1440.
In 1600 a mansion house was built onto the side of the tower, but this was demolished by the owners in 1865.
By the 1950s the tower was unoccupied and in disrepair having been damaged by mining-related subsidence, and it was partially demolished in 1955.
Now all that remains is a section of the north wall 4.0m in height, with one doorway still intact.
Alternative names for Elphinstone Tower