Letham (site of)
A castle or tower house once stood here on a site now occupied by the Georgian mansion of Letham House.
The site occupies a strategically-significant position, standing just below the crest of the east side of Letham Hill and commanding extensive views along the Firth of Forth and across to Edinburgh and Midlothian.
An associated settlement was described as a toun of the barony of Fordell in 1574.
Letham is marked as a castle on the Gordons’ and Blaeu’s mid-17th century maps of Fife as Lathon and Lathumhill respectively.
Alternative names for Letham
Lathon; Lathumhill; Leathem; Letham House; Lethame; Lethem; Letheme