Kilravock Castle is a 15th century tower house which was the seat of Clan Rose for 500 years.
The lands of Kilravock were owned by the Bosco family in the 12th century but passed into the Rose family towards the end of the 13th century upon the marriage of Mary or Mariota Bosco, daughter of Elizabeth Bisset and her late husband, Andrew Bosco, to Hugh de Ros.
The main tower of the current castle is thought to have been built around 1460 by Hugh Rose, 7th Baron of Kilravock. The castle was extended in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries with the addition of low ranges.
From 1967 the castle was run as a Christian centre and in 1984 Elizabeth Rose, 25th Baroness of Kilravock, transferred ownership of the castle to the Kilravock Christian Trust.
Alternative names for Kilravock Castle
Kilraack Castle; Kilraak; Kilrack; Kilraok; Kilravok; Kilrawak; Kilrawok; Kilrawoke; Kilrawokie; Kelrevoch; Kylrauoc; Kylrauoch; Kylravok