There’s been a castle on this site since at least the 13th century, however the present building is thought to date to the first half of the 16th century, as it is mentioned in a charter of 1553.
The castle was built on an L-shaped plan, with a main four storey tower and a three storey wing projecting to the south. It is now roofless and the top floors are inaccessible. Some of the stone from the castle was apparently used to build parts of Creich Farm which now surrounds the castle.
At one point the tower was enclosed by a courtyard, and a small round tower at the western corner of it still remains.