Abernethy No. 8
This fragment of what is thought to have been a 10th century Class III cross shaft, measuring 0.6m long by 0.35m across and 0.25m thick, was removed from a house called Kinglaven on the east side of Abernethy in 1957 where it had been re-cut as for use as part of a window frame.
The front of the stone is carved with complex decoration including several human figures, of which only the heads remain, above which are five further headless figures each of which is holding an object. The stone is decorated with a crozier, a pair of scales, a whip with knotted lashes and what has been interpreted as a harp.
The stone is now in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh (catalogue number IB 290).
Alternative names for Abernethy No. 8
OS Map for Abernethy No. 8
Weather at Abernethy No. 8
max 8°C / min 6°C
Weather observed at Abernethy at 16:56