Baikie Castle (site of)
Baikie Castle stood on a raised knoll at the west edge of the (now drained) Loch of Baikie, also referred to as a marsh or moss, and was surrounded by a moat. A drawbridge and stone causeway gave access to the castle, which consisted of an L-shaped tower with turrets within the angles. Built on a courtyard plan, the castle had massively strong walls, with stables and storerooms on the north side of the yard and servants’ quarters on the south side.
It is thought to have been built in the 13th century by the Fenton family, John Fenton having been Sheriff of Angus in 1261. It remained in their hands until the mid-15th century when it passed to the Glamis family.
By 1833 there was apparently nothing visible of Baikie Castle, having been “totally obliterated by the plough.” The New Statistical Account of Scotland (published between 1834 and 1845) mentions that some remains could still be seen at the time of the First Statistical Account (published between 1791 and 1792).
This is contradicted by Andrew Jervise who, writing in the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries in 1864, states that the last traces of the causeway and castle were removed a few years previously, and that the remains of the thick walls showed that it was a strong structure and square in plan.
Today the site is totally changed and is unrecognisable from its past, being a simple field next to a sawmill. A farmhouse which was knocked down in the 20th century may have been built with stone from Baikie Castle.
Alternative names for Baikie Castle
Castle of Baikie