Taymount House occupies the site of the old castle of Muckersie, and incorporates possible 16th century cellars within its basement.
The castle is marked on two different Pont maps, published in the late 16th century. On a map of the area of Auchtergaven and Kinclaven it is named Mukarsy and accompanied by a sketch of a tower house, although its exact form isn’t clear.
On a map of Lower Strath Tay from Dunkeld to Benchil which partly covers the same area it is marked as Mukkarsy and drawn as a tower with lower buildings extending to its right.
Robert Nairne was an advocate and had succeeded to the lands of Muckersie by July 1621 when he was granted a charter of the lands of Redgorton, Blackhall, Auchtergaven and others which were erected into the free barony of Strathord. In 1628 he was described as the “proprietor of the barony of Strathord and the lands of Inchstrevie” or Inchetrevie along with his wife Catharine or Katherine Prestoun.
Alternative names for Muckersie
Mukarsy; Mukkarsy; Taymount House