Catcune Castle (site of)
Catcune Castle was built on an L-plan, and while it is unclear when it was built, the lands of Catcune are mentioned in 1527 and 1652. It is thought that it was built by the family who ultimately lived at Borthwick Castle, they being known by the names Catcune, Legertwood and Heriotmuir before assuming their more familiar title.
As late as 1915, the trace of three vaulted cellars were still visible on the ground floor, and the ruined walls of the main block and projecting wing could still be seen. By 1954 only a few stones remained on the rocky outcrop on which the castle originally stood, and now nothing remains.
Alternative names for Catcune Castle
Old Castle of Catcune