Balfour was a castle which was owned by the Balfour family and then the Betons or Beatons.
In 1590 John Betoun of Balfour was granted the lands and town of Kilrenny. In 1590 he received a charter granting him some land in Anstruther Easter and the right to draw water from a spring under the Mothlaw.
The castle was remodelled into a castellated mansion by David Bryce in the 19th century but demolished in the 1960s.
Alternative names for Balfour
Balfour Castle; Balfour House