Brunton (site of)
Brunton was a castle that is thought to have been replaced by a small mansion, possibly in the 18th century.
In 1616 Patrick Wardlaw of Brunton received a charter of numerous lands erected into the free barony of Wester Lochoreshire. These included amongst others the “mains land of Inchgall with its manor” and “the loch of Inchgall, the castle of the same”. Patrick’s son, Andrew Wardlaw of Torry, was retoured heir to his father in 1627.
Brunton appears on the Gordons’ mid-17th century map as Brunton, and slightly later on Blaeu’s map as Bruntoun.
The New Statistical Account described Brunton as “the reputed site of a castle of Macduff”.
The later mansion was demolished in the 20th century.
Alternative names for Brunton
Barnslee; Brunton House; Bruntoun; Dalginch; Dalguinch