Pitreavie Castle is a 17th century tower house built by the Wardlaw family and later extended in the 19th century.
In June 1624 a bond of corroboration was issued to Sir Henry Wardlaw of Pittrevie by William Mow of Mowmaynis and Gilbert Mow, his eldest son and heir apparent. Two years later in August 1626 horning and poinding, the process of having someones property seized by a court, was carried out on behalf of Sir Henry Wardlaw of Pitravie against William Mow of Mowmaynis for payment of bond.
In January 1627 John Mow of Mow sold his lands of Mow-toun, Mow-maynes, Mow-mylne and Carroust, and William and Gilbert Mow of Mowis-maynes sold their lands of Mowis-maynes, to John Wardlaw of Abden, third son of Sir Henry Wardlaw of Pitreavie, to settle an 1100 pound debt to Sir Henry.
In 1813 John Syme of Cartmore, father of the surgeon Professor James Syme, rented Pitreavie having lost most of his fortune trying to exploit the natural resources of his estates and selling his property of Lochore. He lived at Pitreavie until his death in 1821.
Alternative names for Pitreavie Castle
Pitravie; Pitrevie; Pittrevie Castle