Pitfirrane Castle is a 15th and 16th century tower house which belonged to the Halkett family.
In the 13th century, possibly in the 1230s or 1240s, Constantine of Lochore, granted to his brother Hugh, later sheriff of Fife, all his land of Pitfirrane and the charter was witnessed by David of Lochore, John, rector of Lochore and Constantine’s brother, Philip, amongst others. Some time between 1264 and 1280 Constantine, son of Constantine, confirmed his father’s grant of the lands of Pitfirrane to his uncle, Hugh.
In 1579 there was a disposition and assignation of “the lands and baronies of Stramiglo, Glendook and others which belonged to the late Sir William Scot of Balwery” by Robert Colville of Cleisch, James Lyndesay of Dowhill and Alexander Monypenny of Kynkell to George Halket of Petfirran.
Alternative names for Pitfirrane Castle
Petfirran; Petfurnane; Pitfirren