The earliest parts of Monboddo House may date back to the 13th century, when the property was owned by the Barclay family, and there is a spiral staircase which seems to be 14th century in date.
The property was owned by the Strachan and Irvine families before passing to the Burnetts of Leys, who rebuilt the castle in 1635.
Further additions were made in 1867, but by the 1960s the property was derelict.
Later the 19th century additions were removed, and the castle restored to its 17th century state.
Alternative names for Monboddo Castle