Champfleurie House is a 19th century mansion which may incorporate the remains of the earlier castle of Kingscavil.
The estate’s history goes back to the early 14th century at least. In 1316 John of Logan granted to Sir William Douglas of Kincavil, Lord of Hermiston, all of his lands of Lintounrothirrikis , for the payment of one silver penny annually. Logan had previously been granted eighteen oxgangs of land with a malt-kiln and four cottar-lands in Lyntounrothryk by Robert the Bruce. His grant to Sir William was confirmed by David II in 1340.
Sir William was a son of Sir James Douglas of Lothian and was married to Margaret or Marjory, daughter of Sir John de Grahame of Dalkeith, Abercorn and Eskdale. In 1341 Sir John granted the barony of Kilbucho to Sir William and in 1342 resigned the barony of Dalkeith in favour of his son-in-law. Sir William was granted the barony of Aberdour in 1342 by John Randolph, 3rd Earl of Moray.
Sir William, who was known as the Knight of Liddesdale, granted the barony of Dalkeith to his nephew, Sir James Douglas, who became known as Sir James Douglas of Dalkeith and the 1st Lord Dalkeith. When Sir William was murdered by his godson, William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas, in 1353 his lands, presumably including Kingscavil, also passed to Sir James.
In 1534 John Hamilton, procurator for Sir James Hamilton of Finnart, informed James Hamilton of Kyncawill that he should be present at the parish church of Linlithgow between sunrise and sunset on the 31st of October in order to receive certain sums of money in redemption of the lands of Manerstone and Medop.
Alternative names for Kingscavil House
Champfleurie House; Champfleury House; Kincauile; Kincauill; Kincavel; Kincavell; Kincavil; Kincavill; Kincawill; Kingcavell; Kingcavill; Kingiscavil; Kingscavill; Kinkauil; Kinkauile; Kinkavile; Kyncaule; Kyncauyl; Kyncauyll; Kyncauylle; Kyncavil; Kyncavill; Kyncaville; Kyncawel; Kyncawil; Kyncawill; Kynkavl