Hermiston (site of)
Hermiston was a castle extant in the 16th century which was redeveloped into a mansion in the 17th century and ultimately replaced in the 19th century.
In 1316 John of Logan granted to Sir William Douglas of Kincavil, Lord of Hermiston, all of his lands of Lintounrothirrikis , for the payment of one silver penny annually. Logan had previously been granted eighteen oxgangs of land with a malt-kiln and four cottar-lands in Lyntounrothryk by Robert the Bruce. His grant to Sir William was confirmed by David II in 1340.
Sir William was a son of Sir James Douglas of Lothian and was married to Margaret or Marjory, daughter of Sir John de Grahame of Dalkeith, Abercorn and Eskdale. In 1341 Sir John granted the barony of Kilbucho to Sir William and in 1342 resigned the barony of Dalkeith in favour of his son-in-law. Sir William was granted the barony of Aberdour in 1342 by John Randolph, 3rd Earl of Moray.
Sir William, who was known as the Knight of Liddesdale, granted the barony of Dalkeith to his nephew, Sir James Douglas, who became known as Sir James Douglas of Dalkeith and the 1st Lord Dalkeith. When Sir William was murdered by his godson, William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas, in 1353 his lands, presumably including Hermiston, also passed to Sir James.
In the 19th century Hermiston House was built to a design by William Burn however it isn’t clear if it incorporated the remains of the castle or was an entirely new building.
In 2008 a marriage stone dated 1599 was found built into the east gable of Mid Hermiston Steading to the east of the house.
Alternative names for Hermiston
Herdmanston; Hermiston House; Hermistoun