Hatton House (site of)
Hatton House was a large Renaissance which incorporated the 15th century Tower of Haltoun, but nothing of it now remains.
The Tower of Haltoun was a 15th century L-shaped tower, which was besieged in 1453. William de Lauder was granted a royal licence in 1515 to further fortify the tower, and more changes were made in the 17th century by the then owner Lord Charles Maitland, who turned the tower into Hatton House, one of the great Renaissance mansions of Scotland.
The lawyer and literary critic Lord Francis Jeffrey made Hatton House his summer residence from from 1812 to 1815, prior to moving to Craigcrook Castle.
Hatton House burnt down in 1952, and the remains were demolished in 1955. Nothing now remains of the Tower of Haltoun.
Alternative names for Hatton House
Argile House; Argyle House; Halton House; Haltoun Tower; Old Argyle House; Tower of Halton; Tower of Haltone; Tower of Haltoun