Ballumbie is a ruined 15th century castle which belonged to the Lovell family.
It was later owned by Balmerino Abbey and passed to Sir James Elphinstone, 1st Lord Balmerino, in 1605. However he fell from grace over letters sent to the Pope that he forged in the name of James VI. In 1608 the King granted many of Balmerino’s possessions, including Ballumbie, Balmerino, Restalrig, Over Barnton, Dunvegan and Lewis, to Alexander Drummond of Midhope.
Drummond resigned some of Lord Balmerino’s former lands over the following years and in 1613 Lord Balmerino’s son, John Elphinstone, 2nd Lord Balmerino was restored to the majority of his father’s properties, however in 1615 Drummond received a new grant of Ballumbie. Later that year the 2nd Lord Balmerino received a new grant of the tenandry of Ballumbie which the Drummonds had resigned.
Alternative names for Ballumbie Castle