The Mote is a motte within Cumbernauld Park which is thought to be the original site of a Comyn stronghold.
Standing to a height of around 6m it rises above the steep-sided Bog Stank burn not far from its confluence with the Red Burn flowing through Vault Glen.
Despite the Ordnance Survey Name Book of 1860 stating that the mound “was made about 30 or 40 years ago in honour of Lord Elphinstone going to be Governor of part of India” it is actually believed to be the motte of the Comyns’ first castle, originally a part of their barony of Kirkintilloch although it may have been added to or landscaped in the 19th century.
Robert the Bruce granted the barony to the Flemings of Biggar in 1306, and around 1371 they moved their main seat from Kirkintilloch to Cumbernauld. Soon after they built Cumbernauld Castle around 360m to the south-west to replace the castle on the motte.
Alternative names for The Mote
Comyn motte; Cumbernauld Park