Panmure Castle is a ruined 13th century castle that was the seat of the barony of Panmure.
The lands of Panmure were originally held by the Valance family but passed by marriage to the Maules around 1224.
In 1646 Patrick Maule was created Earl of Panmure.
The castle was superseded in the 17th century by Panmure House which was extensively remodelled and extended to designs by David Bryce in the mid-19th century.
The family inherited the Dalhousie estates in 1860 and preferred Brechin Castle to Panmure House so it was left empty for a long time. The 15th Earl died unmarried in 1950 and the family needed to dispose of properties to meet the death duties.
The Panmure estate, consisting of 52 farms and 23 smallholdings, plus the house and 11,070 acres, was sold to the Harrison Trust who tried to find an occupant or use for the house over four years. The house had 130 rooms but only 2 bathrooms, no electricity and no heating and had been unoccupied for two generations. Eventually demolition was seen as the only option.
Alternative names for Panmure Castle
Panmuir; Panmvir; Pannemor