Lennoxlove (then called Lethington) was bought by the Maitland family from the Giffords in the 14th century. Certainly the core of the south-west section of the house incorporates a 15th century tower which may itself have included portions of the Giffords’ 14th century castle.
The tower was once surrounded by a barmkin, but all that now remains of that is a 16th century gateway to the north of the tower.
In 1563 William Maitland of Lethington pressed for Patrick Ruthven, 3rd Lord Ruthven, to become a member of Mary Queen of Scots’ Privy Council.
The L-shaped tower had a parapet added in the 16th century, and the cap house and attic floor were reconstructed in the 17th century.
Further additions and restorations were carried out in the early 19th and early 20th centuries.
Alternative names for Lennoxlove House
Lennoxlove Castle; Lethington; Liddingtoun; Lythingtoun