Hartrigge was a 17th century tower house although nothing of the original tower now remains.
The tower seems to be marked on Blaeu’s mid-17th century map of Teviotdale as Tour.
In 1854 the house was extensively remodelled with numerous Scots Baronial additions by David Bryce for John Campbell, 1st Baron Campbell, Lord Chief Justice of England. Further work was carried out in 1938 for Alistair Campbell, 4th Baron Stratheden and Campbell, to designs by Reginald Fairlie.
The house was demolished in the 1950s although the 19th century stables, walled garden, gate lodge and keeper’s cottage survive. The gate piers were taken to Hunthill.
Alternative names for Hartrigge
Hartrigge House; Stewartfield; Tour