Gleneagles Castle is a ruined 15th century castle built on land which has belonged to the Haldane family since the 12th century.
In the 15th century John Haldane of Gleneagles married Agnes Menteith, a daughter of Murdoch Menteith of Rusky and a granddaughter of Margaret, sister of Isabella, Countess of Lennox. In 1460 the Countess of Lennox, eldest daughter of Donnchadh, Earl of Lennox, died. Her sons and husband had predeceased her, as had her two sisters, Elizabeth and Margaret, and so the Earldom of Lennox was divided between her sister’s heirs and Agnes Menteith inherited a quarter of the Earldom.
Agnes’s sister, Elizabeth Menteith, who married John Napier of Merchiston, also inherited a quarter of the Earldom, while Sir John Stewart of Darnley inherited the other half of the Earldom. In 1493 John Haldane and his son, James, reached an agreement with Sir John whereby they renounced their claims over the superiority and tenandry of their quarter of the Earldom.