This massive double-linked Pictish silver chain was found on Traprain Law but was not part of the hoard of silver found there in 1919.
Weighing some 1.66kg, it consists of nineteen pairs of rings with one end of the chain terminating in a single ring. It is thought to date to the 4th to 6th centuries. Analysis of its composition suggests that it is made from recycled Roman silver diluted with other metals. The chain is incomplete, missing its penannular terminal ring.
It is now in the National Museums of Scotland.