The present Oxenfoord Castle is mainly the work of Robert Adam in the 1780s, and William Burn in 1840, but at its core is the old L-plan tower house of the Makgill family.
Built in the 16th century, it consisted of four storeys rising to a height of 19 metres above vaulted basements.
Now owned by the Dalrymple family, it came into their hands when the Dalrymples and Makgills inter-married in the 18th century, the Makgills holding the title Viscount of Oxfuird (or Oxenfoord).
In the early 20th century the castle was used as a girls’ boarding school, but it is now run as a multi-functional events centre, hosting weddings, corporate events and private parties.
Alternative names for Oxenfoord Castle