Mailer Castle (site of)
Mailer was a castle belonging to the Ross family in the 16th century although nothing of it now remains.
In December 1511 James IV incorporated the lands and barony of Craggy, Westir-Malare, Pethavelis, with the mill of Craggy, as well as the lands of Auchinleskane, Tullochlembar, Lakenscredane with the mill, le Kirktoun, the three Auchtowwis, Cowill, Drumnes, with le outsettis, which John Ros of Craggy had resigned, for John’s son and heir, also John Ros. The manor of Malare was made the principal seat of the barony.
A later John Ross of Craigie, perhaps the grandson and son of the above, issued a charter at Malar in 1585 selling the lands of Pitheavlis to his daughter, Jean Ross, and her husband, Robert Stewart.
Alternative names for Mailer Castle
Mailler; Mailor; Malar; Malare; Malor; West Mailer