Clerkington (site of)
There was a castle at Clerkington in the 14th century but the site is now occupied by the early 19th century mansion of Rosebery House.
During the reign of David II Adam Forrester was granted 40 shillings from the castleward of the barony of Dalwalce and Cokpene, confirmation of Clarkingtoun and remission of the castlewards of Clarkingtoun forever.
In the 17th century the barony of Clerkington was renamed the barony of Nicolson when it was in the possession of Sir John Nicolson of Lasswade. In 1695 the estate was bought by Sir Archibald Primrose of Dalmeny who obtained a charter to rename the barony of Nicolson to Rosebery.
A Mr Hepburne bought the estate in 1749 and restored the Clerkington name.
Early in the 19th century a new house was constructed although it isn’t clear if it incorporated part of the old house or replaced it entirely. The 17th century Clerkington House was supposedly demolished between 1805 and 1812 and a new house built between 1812 and 1816 to a design by William Atkinson.
In 1821 Archibald Primrose, 4th Earl of Rosebery, bought his family’s old estate and renamed the property Rosebery House.
The house was remodelled and extended in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Alternative names for Clerkington
Ancrum; Clarkington; Clarkingtoun; Clerkingtoun; Clerkingtoune; Clerkinton; Clerkintoun; Clerkyntona; Nicolson; Rosebery House