Pyle’s Walls was a tower house or bastle house in Jedburgh which once stood near a ford across the Jed Water however nothing of it now remains.
Exactly when the tower was built is not known however it has been suggested that it may have been constructed in the 15th century during an upgrade of Jedburgh’s defences following the destruction of Jedburgh Castle in 1409. The tower defended the ford which crossed from Jedburgh over to the Bongate on the east bank of the Jed Water.
It was one of the “six good towers” in Jedburgh described by Thomas Howard, 2nd Earl of Surrey, who attacked the town in 1523. Jedburgh was attacked again by Edward Seymour, 1st Earl of Hertford, in 1544 and was occupied by the English before the Battle of Ancrum in 1545 and before the Battle of Pinkie in 1547.
The site now falls within the garden of a 19th century building.
Alternative names for Pyle's Walls