Ladfield's Tower (site of)
Ladfield’s Tower was a tower house or bastle house in Jedburgh which once stood at the junction of the Canongate and Queen Street however nothing of it now remains.
Exactly when the tower was built is not known however it has been suggested that it may have been constructed in the 15th century during an upgrade of Jedburgh’s defences following the destruction of Jedburgh Castle in 1409. It was most likely built to control access into the town via a back lane, now Queen Street.
It was one of the “six good towers” in Jedburgh described by Thomas Howard, 2nd Earl of Surrey, who attacked the town in 1523. Jedburgh was attacked again by Edward Seymour, 1st Earl of Hertford, in 1544 and was occupied by the English before the Battle of Ancrum in 1545 and before the Battle of Pinkie in 1547.
The site was later occupied by an 18th century tenement building which was demolished around 1975 and replaced with modern housing.
Alternative names for Ladfield's Tower