East Nisbet Castle (site of)
The site of East Nisbet Castle is now occupied by the modern house of Allanbank.
The castle of East Nisbet dated back to the 15th century
In September 1545 the “towres and barmekyn of Nesbed” were burned by an English army led by Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford.
The castle was subsequently remodelled or replaced by a house dating to the 17th or 18th centuries. This was in turn replaced by a 19th century mansion which was demolished in 1969 and a new house was built on the site in 2015.
It is marked on Moll’s mid-18th century map as Nisbeth Castle.
Alternative names for East Nisbet Castle
Allanbank; Allanbank House; Castel Nisbet; Castle of East Nisbet; East Nisbeth Castle; Nesbed; Nisbeth Castle