The site of Old Inveraray Castle is just in front of the new Inveraray Castle, although nothing is now visible of the older building. Three small white posts mark out the position of the old castle.
Referred to as a ‘manor house’ in the mid-15th century, a drawing of it from around 1700 shows a classic example of a tall tower house with small round turrets at the top of each corner.
In 1743 estate papers reveal that the old castle was had several major cracks running from top to bottom, and wasn’t worth repairing. So in 1746 work began on the building of the new castle, and the old castle was later demolished.
Alternative names for Inveraray Castle
Inereray; Inneraray; Innerraray; Inverraray; Old Inveraray Castle