Linton Tower (site of)
Linton Tower was a castle that was destroyed in the 16th century, leaving only a motte behind.
The Somerville family were the owners of the property from the 12th century.
Under a reference to the Comyn family in “The Early Norman Castles of the British Isles” it states: “First seated at Linton Roderick, in Roxburghshire, where there is a rising ground, surrounded formerly by a foss, the site of the original castle; (G.) a description which seems to suggest a motte.”
This however would appear to be a description of the mound at Linton Tower, mistakenly conflated with Linton Roderick in Peeblesshire (now West Linton).
In the late 12th century Sir John Somerville of Linton, son of Roger de Somerville, married Elizabeth Oliphant, daughter of Sir Robert Oliphant of Cessefoord, the neighbouring barony to Linton.
In 1381 at a council at Jedburgh, presided over by Sir Robert Ker of Cessford, John Somerville was recognised as heir to his father, Walter Somerville, in the baronies of Linton and Carnwath.
John, Baron of Carnwath, was invited to dinner at Cessford Castle by his “cousin”, Sir Robert Ker, in April 1390 while he was in the area arranging his affairs regarding the barony of Lintoune. During the dinner they learned of the death of Robert II.
Alternative names for Linton Tower
Leynton towr; Lintoune; Lintun