Waygateshaw House consists of a 16th century tower to which was added a 17th century wing and a 19th century house.
There may have been a 12th century motte at Waygateshaw, although any trace of it has been lost. The lands of Wygetschaw are first mentioned in 1327 when half of the estate was granted to Hugo Polay by Robert the Bruce.
The tower is thought to have been built in the mid-16th century as a five storey tower, possibly during the ownership of the Lockhart family, and is marked on Pont’s late 16th century map of the area as a three storey building named Wickedshaw.
The tower was extended in the 19th century with the addition of a more modern house that was possibly designed by William Burn.
The house burnt down around 1980 but was rebuilt soon after and is currently a private home.
Alternative names for Waygateshaw House
Weigateschaw; Wichedsnaw; Wickedshaw; Wicketshaw; Wikitschaw; Wygetschaw