Taymouth Castle stands on the site of Balloch Castle, a Campbell stronghold built by Sir Colin Campbell around 1550.
Around 1733 William Adam remodelled the building and added two wings to the main castle block. Today the west wing built by Adam remains under more modern remodellings, but nothing of the original Balloch Castle now survives.
Alternative names for Taymouth Castle
Ballach; Balloch Castle; Ballocht; Belloch