A tower once stood at Spottes however the site is now occupied by the Georgian mansion of Spottes Hall.
Spottes seems to have been a possession of the Herries family however the late Gilbert Macdowell of Spottes is on record in 1567. In 1581 “Johne Lorde Hereis was taxed in respect of Spottis”, presumably referring to Sir John Maxwell who was married to Agnes Herries, daughter of William Herries, 3rd Lord Herries of Terregles, and Spottes passed into the Maxwell family.
Around 1640 Robert Maxwell, eldest son of Robert Maxwell of Spottes, bought Orchardton Tower from Edward Maxwell, son of George Maxwell of Drumcoltran. A tower named Hall of Spotts is marked on Blaeu’s mid-17th century map.
In 1780 the estate was bought by Michael Herries, a merchant in Glasgow and then London, and from 1784 to 1789 he constructed Spottes Hall, a five bay two storey mansion plus basement. Whether this incorporated part of the old tower or replaced it entirely is not clear.
The son of Michael Herries, William Herries, predeceased his father in 1795 and following the death of Michael around 1800 Spottes passed under a deed of entail in 1823 to William Young, son of Alexander Young of Harburn, who added Herries to his surname.
In 1873 low two storey wings were added either side of the main block and in 1887 further additions were made on the west side.
The house remained in the Young-Herries family until it was sold in 2016.
Alternative names for Spottes
Hall of Spotts; Spottes Hall; Spottes House; Spottis