Drochil Castle is a ruined 16th century castle which was built by James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton.
In 1572 Morton became Regent to the infant James VI, however Morton’s power and influence wained when James VI was declared an adult ruler in 1578. In the same year he retired for a while to Lochleven Castle and began building Drochil Castle.
Drochil is situated further up the Lyne valley from another of Morton’s properties, Linton. Local tradition states that the tower at Linton was built on Saturday nights by masons who were working on Drochil.
Morton was arrested in 1580 having been accused of complicity in Lord Darnley’s murder in 1567, was attainted and executed in 1581. In the same year James VI granted the lands, barony and earldom of Morton, to John Maxwell, 8th Lord Maxwell, a grandson of the 3rd Earl. In 1586 the Earldom of Morton was restored to the Douglases and the title and estates were granted to Archibald Douglas, a nephew of the 4th Earl. The 5th Earl died just two years later however and was succeeded by his cousin, William Douglas, son of Robert Douglas of Lochleven and Margaret Erskine.
Drochil is thought to have been abandoned around 1630 and in 1686 was sold to William Douglas, 1st Duke of Queensberry.
Alternative names for Drochil Castle