Carbeth was a 15th century tower house which may have been incorporated into a later house.
In 1225 Alexander II confirmed a charter by Maol Domhnaich, Earl of Lennox, to Simon, son of Robert Croc, of the lands of “Brengrochane and Kymonedhane and Gartbethe” (Balgrochan, Kilmannan and Carbeth).
In the 17th century a new house was built, possibly incorporating part of the earlier tower. Carbeth House was remodelled in 1840 and again in 1879.
Alternative names for Carbeth
Carbeth House; Carbeths; Gartbethe