Liddel Castle was a castle that belonged to the de Soulis family from the 12th century.
The castle is marked as “Castleton” on a map of 1590 which appeared in “An atlas of England and Wales, made by Christopher Saxton”, a book owned by William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, and commonly referred to as The Burghley Atlas.
The castle was abandoned in the 13th century and while any building have long since gone impressive earthwork defences remain.
Alternative names for Liddel Castle
Castelton; Castle Sule; Castleton; Liddel Motte; Mote of Liddel