Crosbie Towers is a 17th century L-plan tower house however it replaced or incorporated an earlier castle.
In 1202 Pope Innocent III wrote to the priors of St. Oswald’s, Nostell and St. John’s, Pontefract, and Roger, rural dean of Ledsham regarding land at Eglefechan. In his letter he stated that W. de Midleton’s (possibly Middlebie in Dumfriesshire) father had placed certain land of Ecclefechan in gage to Ivo de Crossebi in return for a certain sum of money. Ivo, when alive, and later his son, R. (probably Robert de Crossebi), had received a repayment of the loan but refused to return the land.
The land in question seem to have been that of Oulcottis or Woolcotes which was located close to the present farm of Orchard in Dumfriesshire. Ivo de Crossebi may be Ivo de Kirkpatric who received the lands of “Thorbrec” and “Willambi” and the villa of “Blacwde” land in the feu of Pennersaughs, neighbouring Ecclefechan, from William de Brus, grandson of Robert de Brus, 1st Lord of Annandale, for his homage and service. The charter was witnessed by Robert de Crossebi and Gilbert de Jonistune amongst others.
In 1506 Andrew Herries, 2nd Lord Herries of Terregles, infefted William Irving of Bonshaw in his three pound land of Ecclefechan. In the same year Edward Irving, son of the late William Irving of Bonshaw, received a charter from Robert Crosbie of Ulcotis of the lands of Hairgills, Ulcoates and others.
Alternative names for Crosbie
Crosbie Castle; Crosbie Tower; Crosbie Towers; Crossebi