Green Tower Motte
Green Tower Motte is a large 12th century motte-and-bailey castle which guards the entrance to the Water of Fleet at Fleet Bay.
The lands of Anwoth were granted to David fitz Teri, a Cumbrian lord, by Malcolm IV around 1170 and he built a castle here.
It was subsequently superseded by Cardoness Castle which was built by the McCullochs in the 15th century a few hundred metres to the east.
Alternative names for Green Tower Motte
Boreland Mote; Boreland of Anwoth; Green Tower Mote