Lawers is an 18th and 19th century mansion however it is built on the site of a 17th century house which itself replaced an earlier building.
The estate was formerly known as Fordie and was one of five constituent parts of the old estate of Monzievaird along with Clathick, Ochtertyre and Monzievaird itself. The name Lawers was given to the estate by the Campbells in the late 16th century, named after their barony of Lawers on the north side of Loch Tay.
In 1596 Colin Campbell, second son of Sir John Campbell of Lawers, was granted the lands of Aberuchill.
Alternative names for Lawers
Foordy; Fordef; Fordeff; Fordew; Fordie; Fordoch; Fordow; Fordy; House of Lawers; Lawers House